POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... : Re: Calling all uv experts... Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling all uv experts...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 27 Aug 1999 12:59:52
Message: <37C6C4B5.96F91401@inapg.inra.fr>
Being back from vacation for a few hours, some comments on uv-mapping.
First I'm very happy that it's finally getting the interest of many
people. There are many little problems in all the converters I found so
it's handy to have several of them. Recently I had to remove all the
degenerate triangles from a Poser mesh because the Superpatch refused it
(mesh2 accepted it though) ! It's not a completely straightforward
technique but it's worth it. So many thanks and best of luck for your
converter.
Second, I'm now using 3DS instead of obj. As Mick Hazelgrove reported,
there are some problems involved with the 3DS export plugin in Poser 4
(and 3 in fact), and I reported them to Metacreations. One workaround is
to export the file in the obj format, import it again in Poser and export
it as 3DS. I also noticed the seam problem, but usually adding some color
on the white part of the map fixes it. I like 3DS2pov better though
because it uses the mesh2 syntax, it's easier to use than obj2pov (no need
to change anything in the obj file). Also, I had some problems with animal
textures with obj2pov (the texture was messed up on the animal spine and
on some parts of the flanks) that I do not have with 3DS2pov.
Of course obj export already works fine in Poser so an obj -> mesh 2
converter will be great.

Gilles Tran