POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : uv_mapping bug? : Re: uv_mapping bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping bug?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 22 Aug 1999 19:48:55
Message: <37C08CFE.EA92DB48@Kopp.com>
smellenbergh wrote:

> Oh, I see: a mis-understanding indeed. But also a bit disappointed.
> Couldn't you use a slice of the texture from the XZ plane and wrap that
> around the object for gradient z (this is also true for the mandel
> pattern).
> Well that explains it for the sphere, lathe and box objects. But there
> is still a problem with the bicubic_patch object. With gradient x the
> gradient goes in the z-direction. With gradient y it goes in the
> x-direction

Guess I didn't clear up the misunderstanding completely.

With a bi-cubic patch, gradient x doesn't go in the 'z' direction, but
in the 'u' direction.  It just happens that in your scene, the surface
'u' direction is in the world 'z' direction.

The surface of an object is only 2 dimensional, whereas textures in POV
are 3 dimensional.  At some point, only one slice of the 3d texture can
be mapped to the 2d surface coordinates.

You can use the XZ plane of a texture if you want to: you simply have to
rotate the texture so that the XZ plane lies in the XY plane.

  rotate 90*x  // this should do the trick

-Nathan