POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...) : Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...)
From: Mike
Date: 21 Aug 1999 03:42:13
Message: <37BE566E.CA9DEDF4@aol.com>
> Next question: are you going to make the sampling method a media-by-media
> setting, or will it be the same for an entire interior?  The former would
> be more flexible, but the latter is easier to implement and allows for
> greater flexibility in your sampling methods.

Good point.  I think I'm going to need to add something to global settings for
changing the
method.  If the new method performs well, I don't think anyone will miss being able to
mix
and match.

I've been using the Lake Two scene file for testing.  It makes an excellent test scene
because of the large scale of the cloud objects and the large sphere representing the
atmosphere.  The latter renders the same with 2 samples as it does with 50 using the
evenly
distributed samples, plus there's absolutely no graininess.   The clouds require more
random
sampling though, but I'm hoping supersampling will reduce the number needed.

It took him 3 days to render the scene.  My hope is that I can produce something that
can
render it at the same size in under 3 hours and have it look the same only perfectly
smooth.  I'm going to have to take a break from this for a few days but I'll try to
get back
to it as soon as I can.

-Mike