POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 2 problems : Re: 2 problems Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 problems
From: Ken
Date: 19 Aug 1999 21:59:44
Message: <37BCB693.BF39B32B@pacbell.net>
Dennis Miller wrote:

> Howdy. I often do long animations that have very complex scenes, to the
> extent that when I try to quit, it takes a few minutes to reclaim the
> memory. However, even after quitting and closing the interface, my
> system will grind to an incredibly slow tempo until I reboot. In fact,
> once when I had quit PV and was trying to shut down, pvengine was still
> showing in my Task Window (Win 98). Anyone ever have a similar problem?

I have similar problems on occasion especialy when large amounts of memory
are used. I cannot explain why but I have to drop out to dos and delete the
swap file before system regularity returns.

> Also, when I am rendering, hit Pause, and run another app, such as
> Netscape, I get a series of "Cannot save file, file in use by another
> application (paraphrased)" messages from POV. It's as if POV doesn't
> recognize it is the app using the file.
> Any comments?
> Thanks much.
> d.

I only get the last problem when Pov does not close cleanly and again it
is related to scenes that require I use the hard drive for a swap file.
It does not happen predictably so I never bothered mentioning it. I
presume it is more a problem with windows memory management than a
problem with pov itself.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: