POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : White is white ? : Re: White is white ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White is white ?
From: PoD
Date: 17 Aug 1999 18:36:49
Message: <37B9E480.4584E867@merlin.net.au>
eric wrote:

> I'm currently trying to render a in-house scene, and so, I need to simulate
> a white ceiling.
> But when I try to specify a white texture, I always get a gray ceiling, even
> when there is a light veryclose to it.
>
> Could you give me some hints about this difficulty ?
>
> I tried to play with ambiant, diffuse, etc.. but no effect seems OK..
>
> Thnaks for your help.

The amount of lighting you get on a surface is determined by the
pigment, the lights visible from the surface and the angle at which the
light hits the surface.
Because the lights are usually high up near the ceiling, the angle will
be quite acute, causing the ceiling to appear dark.
One way to get around this is to use a low value for brilliance in your
finish.  In the extreme case, if you use zero for the brilliance, the
angle will have no effect at all, and the surface will be fully
illuminated.
Try something around 0.1 - 0.5 for starters.

Cheers, PoD.