POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? : Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects?
From: Ken
Date: 11 Aug 1999 14:01:51
Message: <37B1BA77.D6B2DFEB@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Jerome M. BERGER <jbe### [at] enstfr> wrote:
> :       Okay, there's just one problem with this model: I don't remember how it
> : accounts for materials like wood that neither reflect nor transmit any
> : light...
>
>   Actually wood reflects light. If it didn't, you would see it as black.
> And a white object in a room with wooden walls will certainly be colored
> differently than in a room with white walls.
>   I think that the color of the wood (or any material) depends on the
> frequency of the electrons the light affects.

  Yeah don't get me started on the properties of "blackbody" objects. I got
into a lengthy argument not to long ago in one of sci.electronics groups
about the thermal radiation and emmisivity characteristics of variously
colored heat sink materials and don't want to relive that again for a while.
I was right of course but they just wouldn't listen to my common sense:)

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: