POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help for a first-timer. : Re: Help for a first-timer. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help for a first-timer.
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 11 Aug 1999 00:17:47
Message: <37B0F9DF.D5FFAA32@geocities.com>
"Edward C." wrote:

> Well, I've finally taken the plunge, installed RedHat 6.0 on my system,
> downloaded the UNIX POV source files, transferred them to a directory on my
> Linux partition.....Now what?
> Can some kind soul please lead me by the hand from simply extracting the
> source into the right directory structure, to building a stock-standard
> X-POV?
> If not, can someone point me to where such instructions may be found?

From the main archive (I think, and not from the source stuff), you should
have a README.Linux file in the place the sources are extracted to. Read it.
With the source archive comes "compile.doc". Read that too.

Let's see if I can recall.

I think I did things a weird way, but I made a sub-directory for sources,
changed there and then typed

tar zxvf /somedirectorywhereitisstored/povuni_s.tgz

cd to ......./povray31/source/
read the docs. :-)
cd to ./unix
typed either "make newxwin" or "make newunix"
voila! it's done.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.