POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? : Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects?
From: Ken
Date: 10 Aug 1999 23:17:36
Message: <37B0EB0B.2ABCB1BF@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> I believe Ken means light only enters the medium and is refracted if it is not
> reflected. Light can be partially reflected or refracted, but only one of the
> two can happen on a photon by photon basis.
>
> Margus

Ior is a property of a material. Reflection is a property of a surface. At least
this was the rational for moving ior into it's own property wrapper i.e. interior.
I know that surfaces can be considered to have an ior value but this is generaly
a very minor property where roughness and color have a much greater impact than
does a surfaces ior value will.

  To really clarify my point air does not generaly reflect light. It will transmit
and refract light in varying amounts however. Shiny steel will reflect light redily
but has extremely poor light transmittance.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: