POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pov-Ray 3.1g (compiled from source) outputting odd... : Re: Pov-Ray 3.1e and 3.1g lock up with my scene file ... ?! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray 3.1e and 3.1g lock up with my scene file ... ?!
From: Ken
Date: 7 Aug 1999 04:12:28
Message: <37ABEA05.68E9E27F@pacbell.net>
Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> > Email it to me and I will try it on the v3.1g windows platform for you.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Tyler

> OK ... good luck and here it is ...

  Ok !... It took me a while but I think I have isolated the problem you
are having to one component in your blob construct. If you remove or
reduce the amount of reflection you have specified the render time goes
back down to an acceptable level. I believe you are simply experiencing
internal reflections which causes the program to send out a lot more
rays to calculate the object. By removing the reflection component it
only has to work on the transparent surfaces and the specular and phong
highlights you have specified.
 It's up to you if you want to live with these long render times but
personally I would either seriously reduce the reflection to something
like 0.05 or less or eliminate it completely. Any other changes I attempted
had little or no effect on the render time but turning off the reflection
was immediately noticeable. I also noticed little difference as to image
quality with it tuned off.

P.S. I never really hit a point where my system was "locked up". It simply
started taking a long time to render once I got to the second frame of the
animation. As the second frame progressed I could watch the pps counter
drop at a visible rate so eventually it might have appeared to have locked
up but of course it really was working only in slow motion.

I have a pentium 200 running win 98 with 128 megs of ram.

--
Ken Tyler

Older   Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm
Updated Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/bkmrk999.htm