POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray 's price : Re: Moray 's price Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray 's price
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 6 Aug 1999 07:08:59
Message: <37AAC2D2.2B39D8CD@mitre.org>
Moray is dirt cheap for what you get.  One trick ponies like Poser cost
$129 when discounted.  You can't even buy two current games for your
Playstation for $80 - so if you consider the amount of time you save in
performing scene layout (even if you do final hand tuning of the POV-Ray
script), it's a big win.

I've spent somewhere in the $3000 range on compilers and upgrades over
the last ten years.  I can't imagine not having solid tools to get the
job done.  If you are going to do CG, you need some way to model,
texture, and render.  Moray provides the first two, with POV-Ray (or my
own plugin...) providing the last.

When the animation stuff is finally working, the cost of Moray +
whatever the plugin cost is will give you the majority of the capability
of the high end packages at an order of magnitude less cost.

Sounds like Moray is a winner in the price/performance tradeoff.

Xander

P.S. I'm quite aware of alternatives, including fairly cheap ones like
Blender, Stomp, POVCAD, ...  The best way for you to get an answer to
you question is to use as many of the available tools as possible.  Once
you know what's there, what it can do, and what each costs, you can
decide what makes sense.