POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Version 3.1g running slower on Sun Solaris 7 and UltraSparc ? : Single user mode is slower than full multi-user mode, with X-Windows running! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Single user mode is slower than full multi-user mode, with X-Windows running!
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 5 Aug 1999 21:34:35
Message: <37AA3BAC.E6EF3DB6@interlog.com>
>   You lost one point in the hardcore povrayer test ;)

    A 99% is not bad!
    The warning from POV-Ray is due to the supplied skyvase.pov file that comes
with the distribution.  The command line is standard for a POV bench so I am
still at a loss why the 3.1g version would be slower.

>   Are you sure that there were no other cpu-hog processes running at the same
> time?

  Well.  X-Windows and dtlogin probably count as hogs.  I could boot to single
user mode and then rerun from the console to see what difference it makes.  I
don't expect that there will be much.

Let me give it a shot just to see....

(sorry, can't capture the output from the console ...)

System rebooting now ...
Rebooting with command: boot -s
Now I mount /usr/local
cd /usr/dclarke/povray/bench
/usr/local/povray31/povray -I/usr/local/povray31/scenes/advanced/skyvase.pov
+Oskyvase.tga +L/usr/local/povray31/include +v1 -d +ft -x +a0.300 +r3 -q9 -w640
-h480 -mv2.0 +b1000 +GA

<snip>

Total Time:    0 hours  2 minutes  14.0 seconds  (134 seconds)

WHICH IS A HECK OF A LOT SLOWER THAN if I ran in full multi-user mode with
dtlogin and X-Windows.  Man.  This makes no sense.

Dennis Clarke
dcl### [at] interlogcom