POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Blob to mesh patch! : Re: Blob to mesh patch! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob to mesh patch!
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 3 Aug 1999 18:34:39
Message: <37A76E3D.B2548590@Kopp.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Is the rendering of a (big) mesh really so much faster that's worth the
> efforts?
>   I think that you will only end mesh^Hsing up things... :)

Actually, I think it would be.  Rendering time for meshes does not increase
greatly in relation to the number of triangles (a logarithmic algorithm
speed, if I understand correctly), whereas blobs get quite slow when a
large number of elements are used (at least a linear algorigm speed).
So the benifit would probably only be seen in blobs with many elements
and on systems with lots of RAM.

The real benifit here is when this is extended to isosurfaces.
General isosurfaces (and blobs are simply a special type of isosurface)
render fairly slowly in POV under the current implementation, so turning
them into meshes could be a very good thing.

-Nathan