POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Blob to mesh patch! : Re: Blob to mesh patch! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob to mesh patch!
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 3 Aug 1999 06:43:08
Message: <37A6C7F4.5ADD958F@xs4all.nl>
TonyB wrote:

> >   What are the advantages of converting (internally?) a blob to a mesh?
> >   I can only think of disadvantages (more inaccurate blobs, no interior
> > (can't be used in csg, etc), takes more memory, slows down the parsing...)
>
> I don't know how this guy handles things, but I imagine that the blobs are
> quite accurate, esp. with so many triangles as he said he used. About the
> clearly defined interior, wasn't there something in either the SuperPatch or
> UVPOV that could handle that? Memory consumption most certainly grows, and the
> parsing would slow a bit, but I think it's not a bad thing. It could be made
> to output to a temporary file in a special folder perhaps to reuse it, and
> keep things going fast, besides, the big benefit occurs in rendering times.
> That's what we really aim to reduce.
>
> --
> Anthony L. Bennett
> http://welcome.to/TonyB
>
> Non nova, sed nove.

If I understand it correctly the advantage of this would be that if you convert
a blob to a mesh you'd have the surface-coordinates (triangles). I guess you
could find those with the trace-function in the Superpatch but with a mesh you'd
have them in a handy format (I hope). I think blobs are great but I've often
wished I could convert them to a mesh, for instance for morphing in an
animation. Let's just hope Arne gets it figured out.
Go, Arne, go!
;-)

Remco