POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Blob to mesh patch! : Re: Blob to mesh patch! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob to mesh patch!
From: TonyB
Date: 2 Aug 1999 15:43:23
Message: <37A5E660.8C292037@panama.phoenix.net>
>   What are the advantages of converting (internally?) a blob to a mesh?
>   I can only think of disadvantages (more inaccurate blobs, no interior
> (can't be used in csg, etc), takes more memory, slows down the parsing...)

I don't know how this guy handles things, but I imagine that the blobs are
quite accurate, esp. with so many triangles as he said he used. About the
clearly defined interior, wasn't there something in either the SuperPatch or
UVPOV that could handle that? Memory consumption most certainly grows, and the
parsing would slow a bit, but I think it's not a bad thing. It could be made
to output to a temporary file in a special folder perhaps to reuse it, and
keep things going fast, besides, the big benefit occurs in rendering times.
That's what we really aim to reduce.

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB