POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? : Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects?
From: Mike
Date: 31 Jul 1999 23:27:18
Message: <37A3BCC1.4281C5B1@aol.com>
I believe so.  Air of different tempuratures have slighter different IORs.
That's why hot air rising casts shadows like ripples on the ground and
distorts the view.  Hot air has the lower density, so the viewing ray is going
from a higher IOR to a lower one on the ground.  At a shallow enough angle,
TIR should occur.

Mostly speculation on my part. :)

-Mike