POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to compose an arbitrary solid object : Re: How to compose an arbitrary solid object Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to compose an arbitrary solid object
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jul 1999 13:02:24
Message: <37A1D9FF.8D06217D@pacbell.net>
Skelter wrote:

> Let's say I'm trying to compose a crystal gravy boat.  (Yes, such a thing
> would probably be gross on your dinner table, and "no" it isn't my real
> project, but it's a nice reduction.)
>
> I can describe all the surfaces using spatch, but if I do, I can't seem to
> give a "well defined inside and outside" so that PovRay can do the
> refraction.  How horrible!  I can't compose an arbitary 3D object!  Or is
> there something I'm missing.  Yes, I know there are finite solid primitives,
> but I don't feel they give me the control I would like.
>
> Any suggestions?

  Problem you have here is that you have pretty much defined the problem and
there is no real solution other that using solid construction methods. Finite
patch primitives are useful little buggers but the one or two restrictions
they have can be a bother. You can't even use them in CSG operations to
carve out shapes from the solid primitives with and their thickness is so
thin they make poor refractive objects (boo oho). You can achieve better
refraction characteristics by building a double wall construct but this is
even more time consuming and the results are not always predictable.

  Maybe a little inspiration is in order. Visit the Pov objects collection
and take a look at the excellent planked wood boat that Mick donated to
the collection. Perhaps through his example you can gain greater insight
into the fine are of CSG primitive modelling techniques :)

http://povobjects.virtualave.net/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net