POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Sometimes Image map is more appropriate then texture? : Re: Sometimes Image map is more appropriate then texture? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sometimes Image map is more appropriate then texture?
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jul 1999 10:39:01
Message: <37A1B863.B71F5DF5@pacbell.net>
Skelter wrote:

> I'm working on the hull for a boat.  I don't think "carving" the hull from a
> texture is appropriate, in this case, as the boat would be made of planks of
> wood or plates of metal.  This would probably best be done by wrapping an
> image map and bump map on each side of the hull.  I don't want to model
> individual planks.
>
> Since I'm new at this, I thought I'd check with you knowledgable folks and
> give you a chance to set me straight.
>
> -s

  You open yourself to attacks by purists and wild fanatics alike. On the one
hand making the individual planks adds an extra step of realism that is hard
to mimic with textural methods. On the other textural methods are often faster
and easier to apply and can give satisfactory results if done properly. I
would say evaluate how close to the camera is the ship/boat going to be ant
decide from there. Up close you may wish to go with the physical modelling
process. If it is to be seen from a distance such as out on a lake a ways
then you can probably get away with the textural method. Think about which
method is going to give you the most satisfaction when it is done and let
your own conscience be your guide.

  See my links collection in the announcement group for a massive list of
of online texture resources if you decide to go with image maps. There are
some excellent wood plank textures at the sites listed in that collection.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm