POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Realistic terrain patch : Re: Realistic terrain patch Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic terrain patch
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 28 Jul 1999 14:02:10
Message: <379f45a2@news.povray.org>
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the isosurface patch.

I see Ken's point about where Leveller can
fit in; using 8-bit displacement maps is
not ideal sometimes. My own images were
done with 16-bit maps, it turns out.

To answer N. Mika, I was going the patch
route since POV-Ray loads maps into memory,
and the maps are massive. I wanted to leave
more memory to other objects, like plants
for vegetation, etc. The patch essentially
leaves the maps on disk and loads small
pieces of them as needed.

Ray Gardener
Daylon Graphics Ltd.