POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Animation : Re: Animation Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 28 Jul 1999 02:39:07
Message: <379ea58b@news.povray.org>
A little comment about the tutorial:
  I hate to whine again about indentation, but you have to notice that the
tutorial is written for all the people who want to read it. It's not only
for yourself (here "you" means the author of the tutorial; I'm not completely
sure who is it).
  Since a tutorial should be extremely easy to understand, all the example
codes should be it too. For example this:

sphere{<0,0,0>,1 pigment{gradient x
color_map{[0 rgb<1,0,0>][1 rgb 1]}}
finish{ambient .4 diffuse .1 reflection .1 specular 1 roughness .001}
rotate 360*y*clock}

is a little confusing. Why so much obfuscation? I think that the purpose of
the tutorial is not to make the reader to try to decipher the example code.
You could make the codes a lot easier to understand, like:

sphere
{  <0,0,0>,1
   pigment
   {  gradient x
      color_map
      {  [0 rgb<1,0,0>]
         [1 rgb 1]
      }
   }
   finish { ambient .4 diffuse .1 reflection .1 specular 1 roughness .001 }

   rotate 360*y*clock
}

  It takes more space, but it's a lot easier to understand. You can easyly
see that the rotate command really applies to the sphere (and not to the
pigment, for example).

  I think this is not the place for an indentation war. As I said, I think
that the tutorial is intended for anyone and it should be as easy to
understand as possible.