POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 26 Jul 1999 09:46:46
Message: <379c66c6@news.povray.org>
In povray.programming Andrew Cocker <and### [at] acockerfreeservecouk> wrote:
: I agree with you Ken. I often use POV to create scenes with many tens of
: thousands of spheres (using Biowin) , and from my experience there's *no
: way* that I'd be able to use more than a few hundred spheres in a mesh based
: program. As far as I'm concerned, it's the use of mathematically defined
: primitives, along with the procedural textures that make POV so great.

  Actually, if you had defined one mesh object, which is the sphere, and
then spread tens of thousands of copies of that declared mesh (scaling,
rotating, translating and texturing them), memory consumption would not be
very high.
  If each one of the spheres had to be a _different_ mesh (like having
different number of spikes all of them), then the memory consumption would
be prohibitive.