POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 26 Jul 1999 08:50:01
Message: <379c5979@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
>   Wouldn't it also add greatly to the memory overhead for the program. I
> recall reading that the reason the developers of pov originally decided to
> use the mathematically derived primitives unlike the triangle model is
because
> it is both faster and less memory intensive to create. 3ds max to create
> an equivalent smooth sphere without using surface normal smoothing
requires
> 1000's of triangles to represent. It would surely limit the number of
> objects you could include in your scene if you had low memory on your
system
> and even those with more memory would max out rather quickly with only
10's
> to a few hundred objects. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't add this
> feature though I wonder at it's usefulness.

I agree with you Ken. I often use POV to create scenes with many tens of
thousands of spheres (using Biowin) , and from my experience there's *no
way* that I'd be able to use more than a few hundred spheres in a mesh based
program. As far as I'm concerned, it's the use of mathematically defined
primitives, along with the procedural textures that make POV so great.

Andy