POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Plugins, plugins, plugins... : Re: Plugins, plugins, plugins... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plugins, plugins, plugins...
From: Tony Vigil
Date: 28 Jul 1999 12:57:55
Message: <379F3688.9E857C15@emc-inc.com>
Ken wrote:

>   The one question I have not heard addressed yet is if you expect Moray to
> display the results of the written Pov script. This would of course require
> Moray to have a Pov language parser added to it and Lutz has already mentioned
> he does not want to spend the time to add one. You might as well edit the pov
> file directly if you can't visualize it in Moray.

I did address that question earlier - sort of.   The way I see this working, is that
when you chose the Script plugin object from the create menu, a simple wireframe would
be placed in your scene to represent the Script object.  That wireframe doesn't
necessarily need to look like the results of your script.  It would simply act as a
visual cue so you can access the script later for future editing.  Perhaps the plugin
would allow you to choose your wireframe representation - cube, sphere, cylinder, UDO,
etc.

For example, if you wanted to place a Julia fractal in a Moray scene, you would create
a Script object, add the necessary code (including all transformations, bounding
boxes,
textures, etc), choose where in the output renderer code to insert the script, &
transform the wireframe to taste.  Please note that this wireframe would only act as a
visual cue & would not in any way play a part in the actual location, rotation or size
of any object created within the script.

With this kind of ability, you could access any object within Include files, input
values beyond what Moray currently allows (values outside of 0.0 - 1.0), and most
importantly - access features within patched versions of POV.

I like modelling & staging my scenes with Moray.  The big thing that I don't like
about
Moray is that if I want to add anything that Moray doesn't currently handle, I need to
edit the output POV scene file each & everytime that I make a change to the Moray
model.  Being able to add these scripts directly into Moray would greatly reduce the
time & effort required to re-add all of the extra scripting each time I tweek a light
or a texture.