POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Reporting : Re: Memory Reporting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:34:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Reporting
From: Ken
Date: 27 Jul 1999 06:59:28
Message: <379D904A.10D687B1@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> Like Nieminen said, it's probably poor memory management on the part of
> Windows.  Also, it takes memory to allocate memory... you have to say which
> memory is being used by which programs and how big the various chunks are.
> (similar to the file allocation table for allocating disk space)

It must be extremely poor memory management if it requires a 200 meg overhead
to operate in. The numbers are still not adding up even given what you and
Warp are saying. I run no programs when pov is operating. I have explorer
in the background and that is it. Memory reporting software tells me there
is 93% of physical ram available for use by the system and my swap file
when pov is not running never exceeds 20 megs in size. That leave 200 megs
for file allocation tables and poorly managed storage in the disk sectors ?

Oh well there is not much I can do about it but it seems it is time to get
a mother board that will support more that 128 megs of on board ram. I
have another 96 megs sitting in my desk doing nothing.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm