POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Reporting : Re: Memory Reporting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Reporting
From: Ken
Date: 26 Jul 1999 09:01:33
Message: <379C5B99.87ED9A6B@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   I think that most UNIXes have very good memory management (including Linux).
> It's worth trying.

I have thought seriously about it but every time I hear the words linux and
unix I also hear the words compiling and make files and such. This implies
to me that a compiler would be necessary and consequently a programmers
background to use it. I have neither the time nor inclination to learn how
to become a programmer at my age.
  I really think UNIX'es are popular among college students and computer
industry professionals but I don't really think it is for the average Joe
computer user who cares little for how it works only that it does. Therein
lies the success story behind the Microsoft and Macintosh operation systems.
No rocket science involved behind it just pay the man some money, pop in
a disk to install the software, and away you go. Plus I enjoy the wealth
of Microsoft compatible software available for the platform I run on.
Maybe it's not a perfect system but it does work and I am comfortable in
it. My 30 year old Ford truck is not in perfect working order either but
it reliably gets me where I need to go and who could ask for more than
that ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net