POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon patch? : Re: Photon patch? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon patch?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Jul 1999 10:02:44
Message: <37987604@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:37:18 -0400, TonyB wrote:
>> about a dozen other things I've not yet gotten around to doing.  I just
>> lost the code for my incredible crackle speedups due to an IDE cable
>> failure on my Linux box, so my schedule (what schedule?) is slipping yet
>> again.
>
>Oh my God! This is terrible news! Do you remember any of your stuff? I mean,
>do you have it in your head? Or is it lost forever?

Well, as it turns out it wasn't an IDE cable (which was also bad) but the
cache memory on the motherboard had come loose.  I realized this after about
half a dozen attempted reinstalls with the same results :(

Anyway, I do remember what I had done, fortunately.  In fact, I think the
second time I can do it even more efficiently and with code that's not quite
so ugly.

>This is a good reminder of how important backing up is.

Yes, and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.  The drives in that
machine are over five years old, so drive failure is a very real possibility.
I've already had two fail, and the platters from one of them are hanging on
my cubicle wall here as an example for the others. :)  On the other hand, the
price was right. (Total investment in that machine so far: $0.  It's now a
Pentium 166 with 64M of memory and half a gig of HD space.  I keep hoping
someone will give me a bigger obsolete hard drive.  Maybe a gig or two. :) )

I've been meaning to copy that code to my Windows machine for a while now,
just so I can build it there.  I just hadn't gotten around to it yet when
disaster struck. :(