POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Editor error with starting POV-Ray : Re: Editor error with starting POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editor error with starting POV-Ray
From: Jared Johnson
Date: 23 Jul 1999 08:00:13
Message: <3798595C.A673E019@aol.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 03:31:01 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >

> >Jared Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> Ken,
> >> I don't think this is the only thing involved.  My Insert Menu is called just
> >> that, Insert Menu.  It is located in my POV-Ray directory and even though I
> >> get the error message I described when I start POV-Ray, I have access to the
> >> Insert Menu's items under the INSERT menu itself as well as being able to edit
> >> them from that same menu.  So in other words, POV-Ray knows where my Insert
> >> Menu is.  The error must be caused by something else.
> >
> >Weeell... you got me now. Maybe try installing another copy into a new directory
> >to see if the problem persists ?
>
> This message occurs when POV fails to install an event to watch for changes in
> the insert menu directory.  The error can occur for many different reasons,
> but if the insert menu is showing up correctly it's not a case of a bad
> directory name, since the same directory name is used both for the function
> that fills in the insert menu and for the thread that monitors it.
>
> Jared, is it possible that you're running some kind of antivirus or other
> system monitoring software that might have its own notification installed
> and is somehow preventing POV from installing one?

I do not run any anti-virus software (while running other things) and I have some
system monitoring software but removed it to test out the things Ken and yourself
have suggested.

I uninstalled and reinstalled POV-Ray about 15 or so times.  I tried different
directory names each time.

POV-Ray installs and does not generate the error with some of these names:
  C:\Program Files\POV-Ray [full name here],
  C:\P\POV-Ray [full name here],
  C:\Prog\POV-Ray [full name here], or
  C:\aa\POVwin.

It generated the error during running with these names:
  C:\POV-Ray [full name here],
  C:\Apps\Art\POV-Ray [full name here],
  C:\Apps\POV-Ray [full name here]

As a result I chose a directory name I could live with from the results of my
testing.  I moved in and set up shop and imported all of my registry settings
and it worked great.  This tells me that the error is probably an internal one
to POV-Ray for windows, not the install or the Registry.  I simply wanted to
install the program in C:\Apps\Art\POVwin, but it apparently doesn't like that,
so I settled on C:\aa\POVwin.

I tried the above directories with different drive partitions as well, the results
were the same for each partition (I actually used E for my install).

Something that probably should be fixed somewhere in the next update I hope.

Thanks again for your help.

Jared