POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Isosurface-to-mesh : Re: Isosurface-to-mesh Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface-to-mesh
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 22 Jul 1999 20:18:26
Message: <3797b34c.31494267@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:14:35 -0400, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>A recent discussion about using marching cubes to turn a blob into a mesh
>got me thinking...
>
>Currently the isosurface renders slowly.  I have a proposition:
>Could we make a new object, maybe named iso_mesh, which looks exactly the
>same as an isosurface in POV code, but is transformed to a mesh (via
>marching cubes) before rendering.  This could potentially greatly
>speed up the rendering of an isosurface (of course, at the cost of image
>quality and memory usage).  I'll maybe work on it eventually, but I'm so
>busy with other projects that it would be a long time before I could get
>started, and by then maybe something more interesting would have come up
>and I'd forget about it.  Thoughts?  Anyone interested in trying it?

Better try marching triangles or some other method.  Marching cubes
has software patent issues.  You can find marching triangle info at
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Research/VSSP/3DVision.html.  You may also
want to consider adapting subdivision surface methods.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com