POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) : Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC)
From: Steve
Date: 22 Jul 1999 11:42:50
Message: <37973D4B.F98F93DB@puzzlecraft.com>

> Funny, I've set up a multi-user, networked, automated  scanning & CD
> burning system based around Toast, FaceSpan (an AppleScript-based
> interface builder), PlayerPro and 4th Dimension... last time it crashed
> was when a hard disk died...

Our CD burning stations are dedicated. Same for the scanning department.
Last time I launched Quark with Toast Pro active it destroyed the SCSI
directory on the entire drive. Now I master with Toast and a minimal
extension set.

Another reason for this is the fact that CPU interrupts while mastering can
ruin the mastering session. I never do anything else while mastering a CD.
I can't imagine how the CD would ever come out ok if you burn it while
raytracing.

The Apple CD driver and FWB are pretty benign, unlike Toast. They are both
just for reading, not mastering. So when I want a little music, I just use
one of them.

Toast may not be the culprit but with it's long, well earned history of
conflicts I'd just use something that works rather than worrying about it.
With my previous horrible experiences with Toast I'm not even gonna try
duplicating your problem.

If you must, use a debugger to find out for sure what's going on. There
might be something goofy about the compile not necessarily related to
either the source code or the Mac Toolbox. Check the MetroWerks web site
for documented bugs in their compilers. I don't use MPW so I don't know how
well their bugs are documented. If it was compiled on a PC with a freeware
compiler, then it's a miracle POV-Ray will even run. You might even
discover a DVD related bug in the POV source code.

Also, System 8.6 has numerous bugs coming to light. Apparantly there were
big-time changes in the release and quite a bit of stable software is now
buggy under the new OS (Quark 3.32 for example). I can give you a web page
dedicated to Mac OS conflicts and bugs - you might not have an isolated
problem. Won't be the first time Apple has released a diseased OS on us (
remember System 7?).

So, the quick-fix is just use the Apple CD driver for music and reserve
Toast for mastering.

steve