POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) : Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:52:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC)
From: Steve
Date: 21 Jul 1999 17:26:36
Message: <37963C7F.79A6E38B@puzzlecraft.com>
Watch out for the Toast extension.

Why?

Toast is notorious ( I use it ) for being incompatible. I thought everybody
knew that. Try FWB CD Toolkit yet?

How?

When Toast is activated, it "patches a trap" (probably several). That is, it
takes a call to a standard function in the Mac OS and patches some
customized code over it. When Toast is finished, it removes the patch.

POV-Ray is probably calling the same patched trap ( I can't imagine what it
is ) while the CD is mounted and the patch is still in place. Since the CD
runs full time the patch is never released until the CD is ejected.

Apple has strongly warned against "patching traps" for years but everyone
does it - it's really very common. It usually works just fine if the release
code is well written. In the case of the CD, there's no way to release the
patch without halting the CD software.

If you want to see what code is executing, use MacsBug. It will break into
console mode and show you what's executing at the time of the error. Then
you can look it up in Apple's Tech database. From there you will know which
Toolbox function is being patched. MacsBug and related instructions are
bundled with CodeWarrior Lite, available for free from the MetroWerks web
site.

Of course, knowing this won't fix it.

Maybe you could just use a Walkman?

steve