POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Infinate cylinders : Re: Infinate cylinders Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinate cylinders
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Jul 1999 14:42:52
Message: <379614ac@news.povray.org>
In article <37960002.6EB1A57D@ma.usb.ve> , Alberto <ame### [at] mausbve>
wrote:

> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>

>> You can...as you know the POV-Ray coordinate system is finite (yes, I know
>> that this is a trick, but it does its job). It will just take up a lot of
>> memory (the 5*5 cylinders where just an example).
>>
>>      Thorsten
>
> I didn't know that. Could you tell me (us) the size of the coordinate system?

Well, for example the ray/object intersection test will not work as expected
for objects more than 1.0e17 away. But the default maximum distance is only
1.0e7 (10.000.000) by anyway.  NOTE: These are default values, on some
platforms these values may be smaller (or larger).

So if you have enough memory (and a modified compile of POV-Ray for a 64 bit
processor (so that 'int' is 64 bit) with some adjustments) you can place
1e12 (1.000.000.000.000) cylinders in a 10*10 grid...I wounder if POV-Ray
could deal with that many objects.  I would estimate the memory need around
200 TB (tera byte).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg