POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Trace function in SuperPatech : Re: Trace function in SuperPatech Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trace function in SuperPatech
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jul 1999 12:31:03
Message: <3794a447@news.povray.org>
In article <37949040@news.povray.org> , par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:24:35 -0700, Ken wrote:
>
>>  Has anyone ported your patch to the Mac platform yet and if so who
>>and where ?
>
> I know Chris Huff was working on it; I don't know if he succeeded.  I've
> been looking for my own cheap PowerMac for a few months now, but I suspect
> that the cost of the computer plus a compiler for it will be out of my
> reach for a while.  That, plus a little hardware work on my Amiga, and I
> could test on almost every platform POV runs on. :)

Well, an iMac would do (as low as $899 + tax for the original model). You
can get a reasonable compiler for free from Apple
<http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/index.html>. The official Mac
version comes with a makefile for it. If you like a Unix/shell like
environment MrC is a nice compiler, the only problem is that for some reason
the code it generates (or some odd POV-Ray core code issue) make it a little
more unstable with some very complex scene files.
Getting CodeWarrior would be better, of course <http://www.metrowerks.com>.
If you don't get academic discounts it is around $500 or so.

You may also want to contact Yvo & Rene Smellenbergh
(sme### [at] skynetbe), they have a Mac custom compile and know quite a
lot about Mac programming.

> parkrrrr wanders off to look for a free copy of Solaris/x86 or a cheap Sun
> workstation...

Depending on what you call cheap there are some offeres here in Germany for
$2000 (3900 DM) to $3000 (5800 DM)   :-)

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde