POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) : Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 05:56:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jul 1999 03:41:07
Message: <37942813@news.povray.org>
In article <3793b8ba@news.povray.org> , "Martin Crisp"
<Spa### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:

> Machine is running 8.6. Latest drivers (though admittedly the CD drive
> is a CDR...). The Mac has 64MB of physical memory with Virtual set to
> 80MB. The OS is using about 16MB, POV has 27MB (so 43 in use total, the
> VM should not be an issue) allocated and the death of parsing occurs
> whether the POV is currently using 3MB of that or 13MB of that. I've
> been keeping an eye on memory since I haven't worked with meshes much
> and was concerned 27MB may not be enough... this is happening after a
> recent launch of POV i.e. launch, enter key to open the scene file I was
> last using (navigation services support is *nice* guys!), command-R,
> wait five seconds insert CD (POV using only 1/10 of allocated memory at
> this point) after a second or 2 parsing dies as above.
>
> I'll double check that I don't have both Apple's CD driver and the Toast
> CD reader running (now at work...).
>
> I've got ZoneRanger wandering around my HDs somewhere if you want more
> detailed info on memory usage....

No, if it happens that early during parsing there shouldn't be a memory
problem.

> Basically I'm batting 1000 with the bug (whether it be POV or some other
> gremlin), the only reason for using a large file (actually the file
> isn't large, nor really complex, but math.inc takes a while to generate
> a few hundred thousand smooth triangles) is so POV is still parsing when
> I insert the CD (though I suppose a trivial but long #while loop would
> discount memory being the problem). Again I still think it's related to
> the doubly-declared macro given the line that always causes the problem.
> I'll write a couple of trivial macros and test it that way...

Hmm, this hole issue is very strange. Parsing has nothing to do with any
Macintosh specific code and there is no code that specifically interacts
with CDs or any other media.  It might be that you have an invalid path set
to search for include files. The Mac OS sometimes has strange ideas on where
to search for files. Does the bug appear if the CD is inserted before you
start rendering?
It would be great if you could create a simple source file to reproduce the
problem. Please send the file along with a bug-report form (in the
documentation folder) to mac### [at] povrayorg.

       Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.