POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) : Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:32:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug? Official Mac 3.1g (PPC)
From: Martin Crisp
Date: 19 Jul 1999 19:46:02
Message: <3793b8ba@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote in message <37932952@news.povray.org>...
>In article <B3B### [at] 14710983.2> , "Martin Crisp"
><val### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Think this is a bug, has happened three times (across reboots of
machine
>> etc etc). Causes rendering to abort with a bogus (and insulting)
error.
>> POV says
>> this:

Parsing.................................................................
>> [snip].................................................
>> .................Could not find file 'scene_shell.pov'
>>
>>    #declare yy = yy + incrementy;
>>    #local indexy = indexy + 1;
>>   #end (yy <= maxy)
>>    #local zz = domath(xx,yy) <----ERROR
>>
>> Tesseract:Apps:Multimedia:3D Apps:renderers:POV-Ray
>> 3:Include:math2.inc:144: error: Cannot open macro file
scene_shell.pov.
>> Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L switch
>> or 'Library_Path=' .INI item.  Standard include files are in the
>> include directory or folder. Please read your documentation
carefully.

[snip]

>> Machine is a PPC7500 upgraded to a G3@312MHz (512k of backside cache
>> @124MHz). POV has 27MB of memory allocated and uses about 2/3 of that
when
>> rendering the scene (yes, the scene parses if I don't insert a CD).
>
>This sounds very much like a low memory problem. How much memory is
left for
>POV-Ray?  If I understand you right this bug does no appear when no CD
is
>inserted. Try increasing the POV-Ray memory size so at least 10% more
than
>needed.   You may also want to try to start with minimal extension set
and
>most up-to-date CD drivers, and btw which OS version are you using?

Machine is running 8.6. Latest drivers (though admittedly the CD drive
is a CDR...). The Mac has 64MB of physical memory with Virtual set to
80MB. The OS is using about 16MB, POV has 27MB (so 43 in use total, the
VM should not be an issue) allocated and the death of parsing occurs
whether the POV is currently using 3MB of that or 13MB of that. I've
been keeping an eye on memory since I haven't worked with meshes much
and was concerned 27MB may not be enough... this is happening after a
recent launch of POV i.e. launch, enter key to open the scene file I was
last using (navigation services support is *nice* guys!), command-R,
wait five seconds insert CD (POV using only 1/10 of allocated memory at
this point) after a second or 2 parsing dies as above.

I'll double check that I don't have both Apple's CD driver and the Toast
CD reader running (now at work...).

I've got ZoneRanger wandering around my HDs somewhere if you want more
detailed info on memory usage....

Basically I'm batting 1000 with the bug (whether it be POV or some other
gremlin), the only reason for using a large file (actually the file
isn't large, nor really complex, but math.inc takes a while to generate
a few hundred thousand smooth triangles) is so POV is still parsing when
I insert the CD (though I suppose a trivial but long #while loop would
discount memory being the problem). Again I still think it's related to
the doubly-declared macro given the line that always causes the problem.
I'll write a couple of trivial macros and test it that way...

Have Fun
Martin
--
<Spa### [at] tesseractcomau> is a valid address
If you prefer mnemonic addresses you can use:

My opinions should not be taken as indicative of Tourism Tasmania's
opinions