POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in UVPov 5.4 : Re: Bug in UVPov 5.4 Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in UVPov 5.4
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 19 Jul 1999 23:38:28
Message: <3793EFD1.D8E855AB@Kopp.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Why don't you just use the latest povray source instead of duplicating
> the bug fixes to your old 3.1a version? I can imagine it's a lot of
> wasted time.

Actually, it _saves_ time.  The photon mapping patch consists of many
small changes to a variety of files in POV-Ray (mostly scattered around
in lighting.c). Taking a fresh source and making all those changes is
quite a time-consuming task (I've spent hours incorporating it into
the superpatch).  Plus, I want to know exactly how various bugs have been
fixed, so I like to apply the fixes myself.  And on top of that, I have
made a plethora of other changes to POV that I would also have to
incorporate into the new source every time I want to update to a new
code base.

-Nathan

P.S.  I am not experienced with the diff tools, so I do updates by hand.
Maybe someday I'll get around to learning how to use diff.