POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A newbie with some questions : Re: A newbie with some questions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A newbie with some questions
From: Ken
Date: 19 Jul 1999 18:34:44
Message: <3793A76C.C6AB8793@pacbell.net>
Xama wrote:

> Heya all,
> This is my first post here. I found POV-Ray only a couple of weeks ago
> and have been slowly working through the tutorials at the beginning of
> the documentation. After doing the different kinds of maps I got to
> the average section, upon rendering the image I did not get a "smooth
> blend of gradient x with gradient y" but I got a really duff grey
> picture with lines crossing it, some black and some white. What
> happened, I followed the tutorial? (Windows 3.1e)

Is this the example you are referring to ?

plane { -z, 0
    pigment { rgb 1}
    normal {
      average
      normal_map {
        [ gradient x ]
        [ gradient y ]
      }
    }
  }

If so it is a normal averaged together and not a pigment. What you are seeing
is probably correct. Try moving your light source and camera to something like

camera { location <0,0,-5> look_at 0 }
light_source {<0,0,-300> rgb 1}

and see if makes it a little more uniform in appearance.

> Are there any tutorials for DTA? I have had the zip sent to me by a
> friend but it did not contain any readme or helps docuents, as such I
> am stuck as to how I use the program. The link on Ken's links page for
> DTA brings up a 404 so I am stuck with what to do. Could anyone
> reccommend an animation program that will create .avi's and possibly
> mpeg's? Preferably free.

  See the announcement group on this server for a more up to date version
of my links collection. It contains a link to DTA that is not broken.
I will point out though that the current version of DTA is a beta version
and the documentation is extremely poor if not non exsistant. To find
out what paramters to use with it type dta32 at a command prompt and
it will list the available switches that may be used with it. I know
it is confusing but I didn't write the program so don't blame me :)
I would also suggest you look at Main Actor and Smacker both listed in
my links. Several people here seem to like to use CMPeg but I understand
the learning curve for using it is a bit steep and rather confusing.
I have also heard that Fast Movie Processor is another good program
but I have not tried it myself.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net