POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Superpatch built-in functions : Re: Superpatch built-in functions Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Superpatch built-in functions
From: J  Grimbert
Date: 19 Jul 1999 07:14:43
Message: <3793089B.F8DC100@atos-group.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> David Wilkinson <dav### [at] cwcomnet> wrote:
> :>isosurface {  function { "Sphere" <1> }  pigment { color red 1}}
>
> : Thanks Ron, thats it!  It's the angle brackets wot done it.  I've got too used
> : to the easy going syntax of POV-Ray :-)
>
>   Why there have to be angle brackets? It breaks the ideology of povray that
> you can specify a vector with just a float value.

Which ideology ?
It rather breaks the lazyness...
A vector should within bracket... always.
Of course, you're allowed things like "3*x" but then x is a shortcut for
<1,0,0>.

the only examples I'm not satisfied with the <vector> approach
is for "scale" and "rotate" where it is rather an array of float than a
true vector.
but they were there before the array, so that's an historical reason.
(and scale <0,0,0> is not so terrible, whereas rotate sometime gives me
headache).

Now, I do not understand a nut out of isosurface/function syntax.