POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Future development of UVPov : Re: Future development of UVPov Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future development of UVPov
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 19 Jul 1999 00:07:08
Message: <3792A50B.9FF8E56D@Kopp.com>
John Ericsson wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm intrested in Nathan Kopp's patched version on POV-Ray, I have used
> the Photon Map functions.
>
> Concerning Photon Maps, it would be nice to get some information
> concerning future development of the patch. Will interaction with media
> be possible in the near future? It would be nice to create a
> "disco-ball" with many colored lightbeams reflected from all the
> mirrors, and make the beams visible in a media.

Media interaction is planned eventually.  Currently hardware limitations
have hindered this.  Caustics on surfaces render relatively quickly with
minimal memory requirements (original development was done on a 32 mb
system).  When media interaction is implemented, render times and memory
requirements will be tremendous.  Also, I need to continue my research
into exactly how POV's media works.

Like TonyB mentioned, I'm working on media now.  Not too many changes, but
I'm attempting to implement the global photon map that Jensen (originator
of the photon map) used to enhance the speed of the radiosity process.
That's still a few weeks (at least) in the future, though.

My current project, though, is integration of photons into the Superpatch.

> I'm also looking for examles of reflective and refractive caustics
> created by UVPov, does anyone know of some page with example images or
> tutorials?

The latest version (5.4) includes some example scene files.

-Nathan