POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Portable Mutex for POV? : Re: Portable Mutex for POV? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portable Mutex for POV?
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 14 Jul 1999 16:29:44
Message: <378CF337.FCE8470C@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Nigel Stewart wrote:

> > Synchronization over NFS is a tricky subject. I am by far no expert, but
> > I remember several issues with NFS. And synch was one of those.
>
>         The question can be posed simply:  If a file is open for
>         writing by at least one program, does NFS prevent that
>         file from being deleted?  This is the behaviour I'm trying
>         to exploit.  Linux seems to enforce this for normal
>         (ext2fs) filesystems...

This should be, but the mess starts, when two process try to lock at the
same time. And the stability of nfs daemons is something varying.

> > The most important point is, that it propably scales not well enough.
> > It may scale better than the pvm approach, because you have a star as
> > topology, but the load on the server will be pretty high pretty soon.
>
>         That's an important point, but what I have in mind is
>         something small-scale that can act as a basis for
>         something more sophisticated.  It should be possible
>         to distribute between (shared file-system) networks,
>         but this involves more in the way of transferring
>         files around.  I think the lower level could be solved
>         in a simple, portable way...  A filesystem interface
>         to POVray is about as generic as I can think of... :-)
>
>         My broader aim is something suitable for distributed
>         rendering across the Internet, in a distributed.com
>         kindof fashion, but I think something that works
>         on a LAN would also be pretty useful. (and funky)

It is. And there are quite some folks that have something like this
around. I don't have anything handy but the pvm-stuff. As this is
digging the source, it's a bit out of your scope I think. But there is a
distpov or something. There are alot questions about this in this
groups, just search for it. It's still not in the vfaq :-(

Axel