POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Portable Mutex for POV? : Re: Portable Mutex for POV? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portable Mutex for POV?
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:57:56
Message: <378C922C.F54047E2@eisa.net.au>
> Synchronization over NFS is a tricky subject. I am by far no expert, but
> I remember several issues with NFS. And synch was one of those.

	The question can be posed simply:  If a file is open for
	writing by at least one program, does NFS prevent that
	file from being deleted?  This is the behaviour I'm trying
	to exploit.  Linux seems to enforce this for normal
	(ext2fs) filesystems...

> The most important point is, that it propably scales not well enough.
> It may scale better than the pvm approach, because you have a star as
> topology, but the load on the server will be pretty high pretty soon.

	That's an important point, but what I have in mind is
	something small-scale that can act as a basis for
	something more sophisticated.  It should be possible
	to distribute between (shared file-system) networks,
	but this involves more in the way of transferring
	files around.  I think the lower level could be solved
	in a simple, portable way...  A filesystem interface
	to POVray is about as generic as I can think of... :-)

	My broader aim is something suitable for distributed
	rendering across the Internet, in a distributed.com
	kindof fashion, but I think something that works
	on a LAN would also be pretty useful. (and funky)