POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Portable Mutex for POV? : Re: Portable Mutex for POV? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portable Mutex for POV?
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 14 Jul 1999 08:49:25
Message: <378C8733.F57728CD@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Nigel Stewart wrote:

><...>
>
> It works in Windows NT, I'm going to try it
> on Linux....  But does anyone have a general
> impression whether this is going to work
> across network filesystems: Windows, Novell,
> NFS?

Synchronization over NFS is a tricky subject. I am by far no expert, but
I remember several issues with NFS. And synch was one of those.

> Also, is there a tider way to do this?
> A weakness in the algorithm is that if
> the file is missing, no process will be
> able to lock the resource.  Therefore,
> I'm not happy with the robustness of
> this particular algorithm.

The most important point is, that it propably scales not well enough. It
may scale better than the pvm approach, because you have a star as
topology, but the load on the server will be pretty high pretty soon.
My idea would be to really develop a distributed rendering model, with
hand tuned topology, e.g. a tree.
I will eventually look at this, but currently I am in compiling almost
everything else but povray. (XFree was yesterday, next is gnome)

Axel