POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: New way of specifying transparence? : Re: New way of specifying transparence? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New way of specifying transparence?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Jul 1999 19:54:38
Message: <378BD2D6.8EC4B1DC@compuserve.com>
Yes, it should definitely be put in texture, otherwise we couldn't have
layered textures using this feature! It shouldn't go in pigment, because
it can have a pigment, and that might get messy. Maybe finish...

Anyway, I a pattern would be used for the parameters(a normal POV-Ray
pattern gives a value from 0-1 depending on location, and other ranges
could be used with the isosurface functions.) If an effect requires more
than one value, just allow more than one pattern-parameter. This is the
reason for my suggestion of a "solid" pattern, which takes a float
argument which is the return value of the pattern.
(I think this method would be useful for a couple other things as well,
reflection is one of them.)