POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : REQ: 'parse' function : Re: REQ: 'parse' function Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REQ: 'parse' function
From: Ken
Date: 12 Jul 1999 14:56:25
Message: <378A39DF.FC6F1F4A@pacbell.net>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I just stumbled upon some limitations in the POV language and thought
> of a way they could be avoided. These limitations are:
>
> -you can't pass a macro as a parameter of another macro
> -POV can't evaluate an expression to a float when reading from a file
>
> The solution I have in mind is a parse(string) function. It simply
> inserts the string in the code at the time of parsing (as include
> files and macros are treated). So you can to something like:
>
> #macro lissagousFunction(a,b,c)
> #end
>
> #macro connectTheDots(func, foo1, foo2)
>  thisAndThis = parse(func);
> #end
>
> connectTheDots ("lissagousFunction(3,0,1)", 5, 1)
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

  Me being the programming and math illeterate bofo that I am I really
don't understand what you are trying to say but I think I understand
what you are trying to accomplish none the less. Instead of the approach
you are suggesting could you not instead store the data produced by the
first macro in an array and use that to pass to the function in the
connectTheDots macro ?

P.S. There is a nice connect the dots macro available at Twyst's MacroScope
collection if you are interested.

http://macroscope.twysted.net/

--
Ken Tyler