POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : for once a question on why something does what it does insted of how to do something : for once a question on why something does what it does insted of how to do something Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  for once a question on why something does what it does insted of how to do something
From: daishi
Date: 11 Jul 1999 20:24:02
Message: <37893467.12BA2241@x-press.net>
first off I'm a newbie pov user so if I state anything bare with me
(only using pov around 2 weeks)

anywho I was messing around with the media keyword trying to get some
kind of volumetric lighting in the scene I was working in, and since the
pov-ray docs are pretty lacking in there explination of the media
keyword I opened up one of the sameple files and copy and pasted the
code

now what I was trying to do was get a solid blue beam of light, but
insted what I got looks more like a particle stream. which is really
cool and I'm glad I got it, but I'd like to know why it did what I
did...I'd like to be able to reproduce that effect and actully
understand the media keyword since it's kinda complicated

anyway here is the code I used for the light (image is available here
http://www.angelfire.com/on2/lycsorp/images/silence640x480.jpg )
----------
//-----
//-----
//define particulate media
media {
  intervals 20
  scattering {3, rgb .02}
  samples 1, 10
  confidence 0.9999
  variance 1/1000
  ratio 0.9
}

//-----
//-----
light_source {
<0,10,initial_depth>
color rgb <1,1,2>*100
cylinder
point_at <0,0,initial_depth>
radius 10
falloff 10
media_attenuation on
}
-------
so if someone wants to explain why the light beam looks like a particle
srteam I would be most greateful,
thanks!!

P.S this is really for the pov team. I've been using bryce (*gags*)
before to do my rednering and I just couldn't handle the freaking klunky
interface so I tried out pov and boy am I impressed!!! for free it does
more then a lot of programs I've seen and since it's really just a
programing language it's more powerful. great job and keep up the good
work!!