POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Speaking of the Photon Patch : Re: Speaking of the Photon Patch Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of the Photon Patch
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 11 Jul 1999 07:02:14
Message: <378879B7.1FF07EAE@giwersworld.org>
Jan Danielsson wrote:

> >       I ignored looking into it for months expecting it to be a Linux
> >patch. I can not be alone in that. Simply calling it a patch
> >suggests it is beyond the interest of any Windows user.

> The word 'patch' has been used since long before linux was ever though of.

	Yes, and patch was around when I got my first FORTRAN II program
running in October 1967. And after only two weeks at the teletype
with only a printed manual as guidance, I think that was notable
considering that was my first exposure to computers.

	Is there anything else you wish to tell me?

> >       You will get a wider audience, and you have by one person, if
> >you find a different way to refer to it.

> It is a patch, why call it something else?

	A patch is something included for a recompile. This is the
recompile with the patch.

> There will always be terminology problems amongst computer users, the
> important thing to remember is that 'the next guy' is just as right as you
> are.

	Yes, there ae always terminology problems and they are always
solved by inventing something even more obscure rather than using
something old that is misleading.

> (Another great example is the word 'bitmap'. Many poeple confuse the word
> with 'windows pictures'. In fact, the .bmp was first seen in OS/2. But that
> still doesn't mean that a 'bitmap' is an 'OS/2 picture'. A bitmap is a bit
> map. A map of bits. IBM do in fact in their developer docs mention that it's
> not a good thing to call the OS/2 basic graphics format 'bitmap', because
> that could in fact be just about any formats).

	And DOS and Unix and CPM are separated by a common / or \ or
whatever.

> So.. Get used to not being pleased all the time. :-)

	You can alias some of the terms all of the time and alias all of
the terms some of the time but you can not alias all of the terms
all of the time.

	Good enough?

--
<blink>-------please--don't-----------------</blink>