POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : re: Debian troubles : Re: Debian troubles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:34:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian troubles
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 10 Jul 1999 13:25:28
Message: <37877f7d.1245973@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:30:59 -0500, Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom>
wrote:

>Mark Gordon wrote:
>>
>> Debian seems to have some ... interesting ... policies regarding what
>> versions of software they ship.  This affects everything from shared
>> libraries to X.  I haven't been able to get X to run at better than
>> 80x60 or so, nor am I able to get X to recognize my mouse, and the
>> configuration utilities look like they date to around 1993.  I'm going
>> to throw an older, Debian-supported video card in my box and see what I
>> can find out.
>
>Latest update: My old video card is recognized by Debian, but I have to
>rebuild the kernel to support a PS/2 mouse. :-P

Oddly enough, I had no problem setting up X for my video or ps/2 mouse
on Debian.  XF86Setup worked well. The video is a GraphicsBlaster
128zx (Riva TNT), so I told it to use the Nvidia driver and forced the
video memory setting to 8mb.  As to the mouse, once I set it to
/dev/psaux instead of /dev/mouse it was fine.
As to the POV troubles, I now have Superpatch compiled and working.
According to ldd, the libraries required by the downloaded binaries
were all present, so I don't have a clue why they didn't work.  If it
means anything, I noticed that my (stripped) standard 3.1g x-povray
was about 50k smaller than the downloaded one.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com