POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Filter & Transmit : Re: Filter & Transmit Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filter & Transmit
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 10 Jul 1999 01:12:15
Message: <3786D518.EA6E549B@Kopp.com>
Ken wrote:

> ...would break SOME scenes ??????
>
>   The scenes it would break would number in the tens of thousands when
> multiplied by the total number of Pov users and should not be considered
> lightly. There are some of us out here that create very complicated textures
> using very large color maps and many layers. It would not be a trivial task
> to ensure that the adaptation would work correctly.

It might be possible to leave it to the system to do the conversion instead
of forcing the user... built in backwards compatibility... see my reply to
Nieminen's post.

> Add to this that some of
> these advanced textures are designed with varying amounts of both transmit
> and filter values. This would add greatly to the complexity of the
> conversion.

Actually, varying amounts of both transmit and filter in a layer would just
be added together and placed in the transmit channel.  In fact, doing that
with POV should even work.

> Additionally
> there some among us, me for example, that are tracaholics that
> would have to convert literally hundreds of files to comply to this proposed
> change and would not take such a change laying down. It has been hard enough
> going through and just adding all of those pesky darn semicolons and you are
> proposing something that would create much more work than that.

Point taken.

-Nathan