POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : re: Debian troubles : Re: Debian troubles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian troubles
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 9 Jul 1999 08:49:35
Message: <3785F00E.F4D7C89C@mailbag.com>
Jerry Anning wrote:

> I posted a few days ago about my problems getting the Linux binaries
> to run under Debian.  To follow up, I never did succeed in making the
> supplied binaries work, but I compiled x-povray with the stock Linux
> makefile and it worked fine.  Even though I had libpng and libz, I had
> to compile them first.  I was unable to compile s-povray because vga.h
> was missing.  I am still trying to compile the Superpatch.  Frame.h
> (for the Superpatch) has problems.  I see a lot of control-M's, so I
> suspect cr/lf problems.
> Jerry Anning
> clem "at" dhol "dot" com

Debian seems to have some ... interesting ... policies regarding what
versions of software they ship.  This affects everything from shared
libraries to X.  I haven't been able to get X to run at better than
80x60 or so, nor am I able to get X to recognize my mouse, and the
configuration utilities look like they date to around 1993.  I'm going
to throw an older, Debian-supported video card in my box and see what I
can find out.

I recall hearing a comment on Slashdot from a Debian user saying they
didn't want to make Debian too user-friendly, since that would make it
too attractive to idiots, and they didn't want to attract idiots to
Debian.  I'm coming to the conclusion that this attitide is quite
widespread.

It looks like if Debian is going to be supported, it will need its own
set of binaries.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg