POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Filter & Transmit : Re: Filter & Transmit Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filter & Transmit
From: Ken
Date: 8 Jul 1999 12:38:18
Message: <3784D2BB.165D7343@pacbell.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Ok, that is true, how about "mis-feature"?
> Although it would break some scenes, I will bet most people used
> transmit instead of filter, and POV-Ray should really allow filter in
> layered textures(and treat it as filter).
> The scenes it breaks would be very easy to fix, just replace filter with
> transmit.(or rgbf with rgbt)

...would break SOME scenes ??????

  The scenes it would break would number in the tens of thousands when
multiplied by the total number of Pov users and should not be considered
lightly. There are some of us out here that create very complicated textures
using very large color maps and many layers. It would not be a trivial task
to ensure that the adaptation would work correctly. Add to this that some of
these advanced textures are designed with varying amounts of both transmit
and filter values. This would add greatly to the complexity of the conversion.
Additionally
there some among us, me for example, that are tracaholics that
would have to convert literally hundreds of files to comply to this proposed
change and would not take such a change laying down. It has been hard enough
going through and just adding all of those pesky darn semicolons and you are
proposing something that would create much more work than that.

I vote NO, NO, and NO ! Leave it alone and go pick on something else that needs
it.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net