POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : idea:toroidal pattern : Re: idea:toroidal pattern Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea:toroidal pattern
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Jul 1999 11:03:19
Message: <37836bab.9960718@204.213.191.228>
Here's what John VanSickle sent to me when I requested that same
feature (more precisely the equation to use in the SuperPatch).

"If your circle is centered around the origin and lies in the x-z
plane, then
the distance from any point (x,y,z) to the nearest point on the circle
will
be:

  sqrt( y*y + (sqrt(x*x+z*z)-1)*(sqrt(x*x+z*z)-1) )

Regards,
John"

I needed it for a ring of cigarette smoke, but it does make cool neon,
too.

Have fun.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700