POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update : Re: [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 Jul 1999 23:42:03
Message: <3782cb93.1479538@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 18:48:56 GMT, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 08:44:33 -0400, TonyB
><ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>
>>> I got you a 75% decrease on rendering time if you use layered crackle
>>> textures.  What more do you want? :)
>>
>>=) Can you give a small explanation on how you got this speed increase? (black
>>magic, voodoo and/or miracles don't count).
>
>Crackle textures cache the list of centers.  Formerly, this cache was
>in a global structure, so it was shared between all crackles.  If you
>had more than one in your scene, particularly if they were layered,
>the cache was not valid as often as it could have been.  I made the
>cache part of the individual texture information, and there's your
>speed increase.  As I said, though, it's only on layered crackle
>textures.

Even better, I've gotten yet another speed boost out of crackle that
can help even if your textures aren't layered.

The scene I used to benchmark the above, a simple sphere with a
layered crackle texture, went from 4:18 to 1:54 (only a 50% decrease
in time; I misremembered my results) with the first change, and it's
now down to an even 1:30.  That's on a 486 SLC 66; your mileage WILL
vary.  The version without the layered texture, with just a plain
crackle, went from 1:12 to 1:05 on the Linux SVGA superpatch.  The
difference in gains is explained by the realization that the denser
your crackle is, the more you'll gain, and the second texture in the
layer was scaled to .2.